Saturday, October 15, 2011

The Alhambra

One of the reasons that I was so excited to come to southern Spain (Andalucia) was that, I really wanted to see the Alhambra. Tickets are difficult to get, So Chuck dropped me off at 6:45 (AM!) to stand in line to get us tickets. They are hard to get unless you get them in advance. We would have done that but our plans are fairly flexible (loosie – goosie).



Just a little info on the Alhambra. It was the final Moorish stronghold to fall in the reconquista. 1492. There is too much to tell, so I won’t even bother to try. I will just caption a few pics and put the others up to view via a link.


The 'W' with the bump on the left is the word Allah.

This phrase is soomething lke 'Allah is all powerful" or 'Allah is always victorious.'  It appears 9000 times in the decorative walls of the Sultan's palace.  9000!  It is in this pic either partially or completely 7 times.  Look closely.

This is the room where Isabelle and Ferdinand gave Columbus permission ot sail west to find a route to the far east.  As we all know ...... he failed.

The latice work is so that the women could remain hidden.

My honey is singing.


I usually try to hold in my stomach if my pic is being taken. 
End of the day. 
Too tired for heavy lifting.

For our fuzzy out-of-focus pics

For better pics .... see Chuck and Nancy's blog or look on the Internet


Life is Sweet,
Clarke


PS: There is also an Alhambra, California. Not really the same.

1 comment:

  1. I must point out...you captioned several pictures. Is it Travel Psychosis?

    ReplyDelete