Sunday, September 25, 2011

On Your Mark, Get Set .......

Okey Dokey,


Well, women are just different than men.  I am a guy.  The Brennie is all woman.  For us it just works out better that way.  But let's face it ........ There are many differences beyond anatomy.  Some are a little confusing.


We are getting ready to set out for Morocco, Spain and a cruise.  Total time gone ..... 6 weeks.  4 weeks in Spain and Morocco followed by a two week cruise from Spain to Panama.  We leave a week from today.  We have done too little travel in the past and have always packed to heavy.


So this time, we are pretty much going with carry-on luggage only.  It is a relief for one of us.  We did a practice packing this AM using suggested packing guidelines from Rick Steves' website.  The links to the guidleines can be found here.


So back to gender differences.  So I am looking at the list:
- it says 5 shirts.  I assume that I will wear one so off I go to the closet, grab 4 and stuff them in my bag.
- 5 underwears and socks.  Subtract, grab and stuff.
- two pairs of pants and one shorts.  Subtract.  Grab. Stuff.
- etc
You see the pattern here.  Pretty straight forward.  Just follow directions.


However the 'other one' ........... holy mother of god!  Do I need to draw a picture here?  There seems to be some type of complicated estrogen driven selection process.  The closets are close to empty, things are laying out and arranged by ...... arranged by ......... color?  Wrinkle resistance?  She explained it to me.  It made me dizzy.


Whatever it is, it is pretty sophisticated and totally beyond me.  I did catch her eyeing my bag a couple times.  This should be interesting.


It looks like we are also taking a checked bag which will NOT be dragged around for a month in Spain and Morocco.  Apparently, the female clothing requirements for 2 weeks on the cruise are ....... not sure how to end this sentence.




This is a picture of one of the staging areas.  There is another staging area in the guest room.  I have already returned my stuff to my closet floor, made and eaten breakfast and written this little lovely.  I suspect she has just begun.


Life is sweet ,
Clarke


PS:  I just walked back into staging area #1.  Even more things are coming out of her closet (her #2 closet).  Gawd, I love her.  I hope she loves me after reading this.  Actually, this is nothing.  one of the gals I play bridge with has 2 closets just for shoes.  Remember Imelda Marcos?  


PPS:  I don't pray too much.  But I pray that I never understand this.

6 comments:

  1. Brenda, I TOTALLY understand..I would be going through the same predicament. Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you were from Kansas, you could get away with only 2 shirts... wear one to Spain and one back. Take showers in your clothes and stand on the bow of the boat to dry off. Throw both of them away when you get home. You don't need any underwear, just a wrap-a-round, like the "old day" Spaniards. Socks are way over-rated. You're not going to a wedding. One pair of tennis shoes should get it and a hanky, in-case you get a cold from not wearing socks or underwear. Your "carry-on" would only be a camera around your neck. Anyway.... that's how folks from Arkansas would do it! I'm from the Ozarks in Misery (Missouri), so we wouldn't even make the trip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarke, I will be very interested to see what she finally does decide on... Maybe she will add to the list by layering her clothes on her body..

    ReplyDelete
  4. James,
    You are right n so many ways

    Karen,
    You are right too. The layering on of clothes is already in the works.

    Donna,
    Sorry, you are wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you all have a wonderful time in Spain and on the cruise. It will certainly be fun! Just remember - you'll always come back with more than you took. Anyway... that's what always happened when we travelled all over the world.

    Be safe and no gambling!

    James

    ReplyDelete
  6. Danger, Will Robinson! Although Rick's packing list is fine for casual "land travel," you need to check with your cruise line for dress requirements. On Holland America a few years back, two-thirds of dinners were either "formal" (suit or tuxedo) or "semi-formal" (suit or sportcoat/tie). Only the remaining third was "casual" (the sort of clothing in that list). Now, maybe you've found an "all-casual" cruise line, but it's best to check before you find yourself needing to buy a new suit in Spain before boarding.

    ReplyDelete