Friday, July 15, 2011

"Precious Things ......

..... Come in Small Packages."

I must have heard that  saying 500 times from my mother. No exaggeration. Mom claimed to be 4' 11 3/4". So, she had a vested interest in the whole precious / small concept. Personally, I think that she probably stood closer to 4' 10", but I never had the stones to express that. She was a tough gal ........ all 4' 7" inches of her.


Back to the precious / small concept .... BANANAS AND CARROTS!


They CARROTS here are THICK stubby little things.  But they are great!  For my money, they are much better than the typical carrot found in the US.  To me they are sweeter and more moist.  I love 'em.


There are many types of BANANAS here.  I can't even pretend to speak intelligently about all the different varieties.  Some are just for cooking (frying?) .......... must be an acquired taste.  My favorite bananas are called 'ORITOS'.  They are short little fellars with no edges running down the outside.    They are great.  They are much sweeter and the meat is firmer than what one is used to in the states.  They are fabulous.  They are even good without peanut butter on them.  Yeah, that good!


I don't really need to label this pic, do I?


OTHER YUMMIES:

  • Avocados (aquacate) - you get about 3 -5 for $1 (depending on size).  At first, I ate about one a day.  Some days, I forget.  I am down to 3 or 4 a week now.  There are so many ways to eat these treasures.  Correction:  one 'eats' them with their mouth.  I guess it would be correct to say there are so many ways to 'serve' or 'prepare' them'
  • Maracuya - aka passion fruit.  Love the juice from those babies.  There is a place around the corner that I get liters of homemade maracuya yogurt.  FYI, the yogurt is the liquid drinking type.  Love it.  You can also get maracuya ice cream at many of the 1000 ice cream places in town.  I like to put maracuya ice cream and chocolate in the same bowl ...... about half and half.
  • Ceviche - holy mother of god!
  • and other stuff too numerous to mention.
Life is sweet,
Clarke

2 comments:

  1. You should share with us the numerous ways to prepare the Avocados. I have never bought them.

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously?
    You have NEVER eaten an avocado?
    Lesson one:
    a) Avo should be slightly soft on the outside.
    b) Peel.
    c) A little salt if you care to.
    d) Eat. (not the seed.)

    ReplyDelete