Thursday, July 28, 2011

Good News and Bad News

I have always liked to play "Good News, Bad News".


I know it's kinda childish.  But still .....


So, you wanna play "Good News, Bad News"?


OK.  Whadaya want first?  Good or Bad?


'Good' you say?  Fine.


THE GOOD NEWS:
We got a Garmin GPS.  Roads here are not real well marked so we thought it would help when leaving town.  (That's not the good news.)


Maps for those things are kinda spendy.  So a friend took us to a place where we could get them installed for a fraction of the price (15%).  This friend is a lawyer, so I am sure that everything was legit.  You know,  no pirated stuff.  Yeah, bullshit. (That's nice, and all ...but it is not the actuall good news in this game of GN, BN.)


So this Garmin has a feature called "Points of Interest."  Points of Interest' has categories like fuel , transit, food, shopping, lodging, banks/ATM's, hospitals, entertai........   HOLD ON!  Go back!  "Food?"  Really?  Bitchin'.  So back to the 'Food'  category in POI  Food has different categories, too.  One of which is fast food.


So, finally the good news.  My handy dandy Garmin will give turn by turn directions.  It will speak to me. It will guide me (by voice) through every turn I need to get to the closest McDonalds 121 kilometers from here.  And also the next 8 closest, which is a max of 132 kilometers.  It will take me right through the Caja mountains up to the drive through window.  Is that bitchin' or what?


AND NOW FOR THE BAD NEWS:
My handy dandy Garmin will give turn by turn directions.  It will speak to me. It will guide me (by voice) through every turn I need to get to the closest McDonalds 121 kilometers from here.  And also the next 8 closest, which is a max of 132 kilometers.  It will take me right through the Caja mountains and up to the drive through window.  Is that wretched or what.


I am a terrible photographer.  And some how the auto focus gets confused by the backlit touch screen.  So maybe you might have trouble reading the text.   But here you go.

Super Size Mine!
If there is a motel next door.........
.......... what an interesting way to spend a weekend!

Life is sweet,
Clarke

6 comments:

  1. How hilarious! So good to know how to get to McDonald's! That is too funny.

    And I think your photo of the GPS is great!!

    Thanks for sharing, Clarke. We will definitely need a GPS to find our way home when we get lost in Ecuador.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where is it? 121 kilometers is a simple trip. If I can average 40 kph it will only take 3 hours.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonder if our TomTom will work there. I was going to sell it, but if it works I will bring it along. Gotta have my McDonalds fix! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thought you guys were looking for a better lifestyle with healthy food??? Do yourself a favour and delete MacDonalds....your waistline will love ya for it! hehe
    You can do it...I know you can....hehe

    ReplyDelete
  5. With out a doubt you have one of the most interesting sites.
    WE have a Garmin and based on your comments we're bringing it along. Ours allows for pedestrian traffic as we don't drive.
    Will your "spendy" software work with that??

    Bob and Elaine Cerwin

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hola Guy, Shelly, Chaos and Cuenca ........
    Thanks for your comments and questions. Re Tom Tom and pedestrian Garmin. Any attempt at a knowledgable answer from me on this would be just silly. GPS's are one of the many topics where I am totally ignorant. I can truthfully tell all of you that, I don't know of any reason that they wouldn't work. I can also say that I know of no reason that they would. Glad I could help.

    ReplyDelete