Saturday, May 28, 2011

Predictions and Dire Warnings

I retired a year ago. Moved to Cuenca 2 days later.


Friends and colleagues predicted that I could never adjust to a life of leisure. That I would get bored within a year. That I would would be looking for some type of work. Something to keep me busy. That being idle would drive me nuts. I suspect the predictions were based on the last several years, I worked 80 hours/week 5 months a year and 50 hours/week the other 7 months. (Long story.)


I don’t know. Maybe they’re right. Maybe it has driven me nuts and I just don’t know it. Maybe doing exactly what I want every single day has loosened some of my screws. Maybe finding exactly the place we had been seeking for 15 years pushed me over the edge. Maybe all those years of being at work at 7:30 AM was the sane part and that this is the nuts part.


Maybe I truly hate my life of early retirement in south america but am too far gone to realize it. On the off chance that is true, we decided to take a break from our pitiful existence and go to the Hosteria Izhcayluma in Vilcabamba for a few days. Maybe a few days of spas, massages, long walks, good food and leisure would jolt us back to reality.


Sadly, it didn’t. Upon our return to Cuenca yesterday, I find that I am still deluded. Still saddled with this false contentment. Still lacking drive and ambition. But, please don’t feel sorry for me. We chose this life and will just have to live with it.


Maybe we will have to go to the coast soon. Maybe there I can find and re-kindle my good old Kansas work ethic. Gee, I sure hope so.


Some pics:










Life is sweet,

Clarke

2 comments:

  1. Clarke, I have been reading your blog since I stumbled upon it a few days ago - you are HYSTERICAL. Great sense of sarcastic, bite me in the tush type humor and I love it! We are going to Salinas to make our final decision --will it be CR or EC? Keep up the great writing, both of you. And I will keep on reading, and laughing....! Tami

    ReplyDelete