Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Cujo of Ecuador
AKA
Driving - Day 2

Okey -Dokey Now.

I think that my behind-the-wheel driving instructor (Johnny) is a country boy at heart. About half the behind-the-wheel time yesterday was spent on every god forsaken unpaved road in the mountains south of town. Potholes, chickens, dirt, etc. A real ckicken-running-over type of day. Did I mention potholes? Or maybe potholes?

TODAY:
After todays 3 hours of behind-the-wheel time, I yearn for yesterday. This time we went into the mountains north of town. The villages, the scenery, views .... fabulous. But, holy mother of god, the roads! P-r-i-m-i-t-i-v-e would be flattering. Use your imagination here and you might, just might be close. Cows, chickens and all sundry of 2 and 4 legged beasties sharing the one lane dirt roads. Only actually had to wait once for the cows to clear me a path: and they were in NO hurry.

But What About Cujo?
Lots and lots of dogs in the villages. I don't know if they were pets or street dogs. But there were a lot. They were a mangy bunch of curs ...... actually many mangy bunches of curs. Many were pretty good size. Few found me charming. One of them (Cujo) went after the car. Seriously went after it. I was driving slow as there really wasn't much choice. Anyway, I DID NOT hit him or run over him. And I don't know if he actually attacked the car or what. But there was a distinct and heavy thump in the left rear of the car as I was passing that horrible creature.

I'm just happy that I wasn't on my bicycle or motorcycle.

I wonder where Johnny is having me drive tomorrow?

Life is sweet,
Clarke

No comments:

Post a Comment