Sunday, October 31, 2010

INSECTS / BUGS IN CUENCA

As far as I can tell, insects and bugs are topics rarely addressed on the expat blogs. (Are bugs and insects the same thing?) It is true that there are few bothersome insectos here. I have yet to get any kind of bug bite ...... and I am usually 'the guy' that gets devoured. Yeah, the six summers in Minnesota were a delight. They say Minnesota is the land of 10,000 lakes. More like 10,000 mosquito breeding swamps. The summer working in Alaska was 'interesting'. The clouds of mosquitos were so dense they actually cast a shadow. (blatant exaggeration)

Moving on.......
True, Cuenca seems to be relatively free of insectos. We get some flies in the apt, but it usually seems that they are trying to get out by the time we see them. They are good size and the slowest flies on earth. So easy to kill, it is a wonder that they aren't extinct.

Off track again, so moving on again .......
We live on the 6th floor and have a huge balcony with 3 doors and 3 windows to the balcony. We routinely leave the doors / windows open. An obvious invitation to bugs (and thieves if they could get up here).

So, well .........
Today we went out to the art fairs that are part of the celebrations here for 5 days. When we got back ........ holy mother of god! The two biggest insects I have ever seen ........ in the apartment and NOT trying to get out.

Pictures are worth a 1000 words:

THE DRAGONFLY

Wingspan: Almost 10 feet!
Luckily, our rooms are big.

Body: 3+ feet.

Eyes: Beautiful!


THE CENTIPEDE

Number of Feet: <100
Feel free to count them.

Body Length: 40 inches

Length from tip of antenna to the end of whatever that is: 5+ feet

Eyes: Not so beautiful.

These things are 'all metal' sculptures.
They are extremely heavy.
Hanging them on the walls should be interesting.

I hope they don't give me nightmares.

Life is Sweet,
Clarke

3 comments:

  1. Once again I have missed a photo op of you hauling these down the street! OMG, I can imagine the looks you got..How fun, is this the same art fair where you ditched Randy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We did not ditch him. He left 15 minutes before we did.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Clarke,

    You really scared me I thought at first when I saw the dragon fly picture that my husband is crazy and there is no way I am moving there. LOL
    BTW Do you guys know any expats with school age children? Trying to get the low down on bringing kids to EC. Thank, Susan
    soccermedic1974@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete