Saturday, October 16, 2010

GRINGO FITNESS TEST and the HAIRCUT FROM H*LL

GRINGO FITNESS TEST:
The climb to Turi. Gringos that live here know where Turi is. For those that don't, it is a village on a hill/mountain (?) south of Cuenca. If you want the fabulous view of Cuenca, you go to Turi. If you want some decent exercise you walk to Turi (walk is spelled c-l-i-m-b). We live in El Centro so that is where our walk/climb originated.
The (blurry) pic above was taken from our balcony in El Centro. The arrow points to the village of Turi. The church is circled. The squiggly line is where the stairs start. As you can see, you have done some climbing before you even get to the stairs.

Anyway, back to the 'gringo fitness test' part. Well I guess that is the fitness test .... getting there without a heart attack. FYI, the red squiggly part (stairs) .......... 453 stairs. Yeah I counted them. I lost count a couple times when I passed out. But I think the count is pretty accurate.

More pics of the lovely outing are below. We took a cab back.

HAIRCUT FROM H*LL:
Well, poor Brennie got the haircut from h*ll Thursday. I think it looks fine. How does Brennie feel about it? I didn't know a woman could cry for 36 hours. Now is that stamina or not? I am truly impressed. I don't know any guy with that kind of endurance or determination.

Anyway, what does a gal do when she hates her haircut? Buy hats of course.

This one is my favorite.
Just makes me smile to see her wearing it.
BONUS: Check out the apron!




She is wearing this one out to dinner tonight.

About time she got some hats!

AND NOW, MORE PICS OF THE 'GRINGO FITNESS TEST' CLIMB/WALK/CLIMB TO TURI.

Clarke (sucking in stomach) on one of the 453 stairs.
This is right before I passed out the first time.

The Brennie on stair #318.
I just love that hat!
AND, she is so so so cute!

View from Turi.
Red dot is approx where our place is in El Centro (Old Town).


At the top.
Sucking in my gut (again).
I am thinking of just buying myself a corset.
Red dot is our place (again).
Spots on shirt are from throwing up.


Life is Sweet,
Clarke

11 comments:

  1. Haha fantastic! I love Brennie's hats! Hugs to you both!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh this is so great; didn't even know there were steps to Turi. Kudos to you both for surviving. Brennie, love all your hats...adorable!!! ~ Un abrazo fuerte!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your walking prowess is only exceeded by your humor.

    Hasta pronto

    Len

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please, I could of done that walk with my eyes closed. (eyes closed because I would be dead).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Brenda, I have great sympathy for how you feel. I got my haircut and permed on time.. I looked so awful I called in sick to work and went back to the hair dresser to get it "fixed".. my then boyfriend told everyone about my ugly hairdo.. so when I did come to work I was teased unmercifully.. oh and I love your hats. And Yes Clarke is right you are so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brenda, I love the hats! Can't wait to get some for myself next month! Not sure we will every make the climb to Turi! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations to you both!! That is an impressive feat. Love the hats Brenda. They are all adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So where are we having Christmas lunch next year? Turi??

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was just there 3 weeks ago. The view from Turi is beautiful. We are planning on moving to Cuenca in 2-3 years.

    ReplyDelete