Thursday, March 4, 2010

From the softer side....

Greeting card philosophy of life.

I went shopping today for a thank you card to send to the OT team at my recently completed clinical site (only one more to go!) As some of you know, I went back to school a couple years ago after losing my job in the non-profit sector. Yes, I already had a masters degree but wanted to do something different while getting my foot in the medical field where the good paying jobs are. So, off I went back to school at the age of 53 for an AA degree as an Occupational Therapy Assistant with classmates my children's age. And then there was the "detour" to Ecuador...

Anyways, back to the greeting card. I found a card that fits my outlook on life, and probably many of the folks who have pulled up roots from a comfortable lifestyle to move to a foreign country with a different culture and language. "Why did you do it?" is one of my favorite questions when I meet new expats because I enjoy hearing the variety of answers. I finally have my reply ready for when I get asked the question.

"Life shouldn't be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather a skid sideways, champagne in one hand, body thoroughly used up and worn out, screaming "WOO-HOO, what a ride!"

That's my answer and I'm sticking to it.

Enjoy the adventure~
Brenda (and Clarke)

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I so agree with the card and your philosophy; it's ours as well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brenda, you forgot a phrase...

    MY version reads:
    ...champagne in one hand AND CHOCOLATE IN THE OTHER...

    Smiles,
    Nancy (and Rich)

    ReplyDelete