Sunday, March 7, 2010

Are they clean?

One of the reasons I love my new Blendtec is that whipping up a glass of fresh fruit or veggie juice a breeze. I've always heard that the concentration of vitamins and nutrients lay just under the skin, in the seed, and in the greens part of the fruit. So, in goes the whole tamale (cut up of course) but I found myself wondering..."how clean is this stuff we're consuming and what's the best way to clean produce before eating?"

I've been using a pricey product for years to clean my apples but it's doubtful I can find it in Ecuador. I went to the computer for answers and found this article published on the National Public Radio website. Good old vinegar to the rescue!


Here's another recipe I found developed by Virginia at the Polytechnic Institute and State University. Her disinfecting procedure uses white vinegar (or cider vinegar) and 3 percent hydrogen peroxide (the same as found at the drugstore). These are nontoxic, inexpensive and work not only on fruit and vegetables but can be used to sanitize counters and preparation surfaces, including wooden cutting boards, as well. Here’s the method:

Put the vinegar and hydrogen peroxide into individual dark-colored spray bottles. Spray your produce or work surface thoroughly first with vinegar and then with hydrogen peroxide. Then rinse the produce under running water or wipe the surface with a clean wet sponge. Viola! Life is good.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

OK now....let's get some perspective on this whole blender business.
This is Clarke here (not Brendita)

That blender is insanely expensive if you are just going to make juice and smoothies and soup and other (stupid stuff) with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment