Monday, March 7, 2011

20,000 Gringos? And Odds and Ends.

20,000 MORE GRINGOS IN THE NEXT 5 YEARS?

I have heard that 20,000 gringos are expected to flock to Cuenca in the next 5 years. I have no idea if that is correct or not ........ clueless........ so DON'T say that "Clarke said....." It seems to me that most of the gringos coming here are retired, so the ages of most are 60+. That is an observation of mine, so I will stand by it. But, 20,000? Maybe, maybe not. But here is something I do know ........... when I was at the store the other day, there seemed to be a HUGE section of adult diapers. So maybe 20,000 is correct. (I don't believe the 20,000 number at all. That is my personal opinion ...... like all my opinions, based on bias, prejudice and ignorance.)


SOMETHING CHEERFUL

Cuenca is at 8,000+ foot elevation. So this is a cheery place to visit on the web. CLICK HERE for skin cancer facts.


FABULOUS NEWS

I got an email from Manon yesterday. It seems that she has put a CASE of JIF Creamy for me on Rod’s container. A case of LARGE jars. I don’t know Rod, but I think that I love him.


A WORD ABOUT CARNAVAL

Brennie and I are keeping a low profile during Carnaval. The custom here is water balloons, squirt guns and shaving cream. Yeah I have gotten wet a couple times. People also throw water (and balloons) from moving vehicles. (A pick-up truck with kids in the back only has one agenda during carnival.)


We went out for Cappuccino today at an outdoor cafe. Across the street was a house with a 2nd story balcony. The guys on the balcony were throwing water balloons and buckets of water. The were concentrating on the pick-up trucks full of kids that were also players. It was a hoot to watch. At one point they must have gotten bored because they emptied a bucket on some poor gal that was just walking down the street.


Below are a few pics.







Life is Sweet,

Clarke


1 comment:

  1. Clarke, now you will OWE Rod for the peanut butter. Miss seeing you and Brennie. See you in a few weeks. Pat and Sue

    ReplyDelete