Saturday, July 17, 2010

SOMETHING MY DAUGHTER WILL LOVE ABOUT ECUADOR


LIGHTS, LIGHTS, LIGHTS.

SPECIFICALLY ...... OVERHEAD LIGHTS.

BACKSTORY:
When we remodeled our last house in the states, I did my best to remove all overhead lights. I find them loud, intrusive and glaring. I hate them. For instance, when I designed (and installed) the new kitchen, I replaced the overhead lights with indirect lighting.....above, below and in the cabinets, which had glass doors. (Actually I did have direct spot lights above the stove and sink.) It was lovely. Everyone thought so except my daughter. Every time she visited from Oregon, she bitched and complained that we needed bright overhead lights.

WHY CAITIE WILL LOVE UR NEW DIGS IN CUENCA:
Well, it is the lights, lights, lights.

Although our building is in Old Town (El Centro) and is surrounded by buildings 100+ years old, our building is only about 40 years old. Apparently the standard for lighting at the time was........can you guess? If you did not guess "overhead lighting", you need to go back and start again from the beginning.

OK now, I suspect that alone should make the Cait pretty darn happy. BUT, these lights are very special. When she sees the exact nature of these lovelies........well .....the exact word is hard to come up with. Could it be: beaming, giddy, joyful, gleeful, delighted, pleased (lame), buoyant, radiant, sunny, blithe, joyous, thrilled, elated, exhilarated, ecstatic, blissful, euphoric, overjoyed, exultant, or rapturous?

Because, yeah baby, we have some fine lights.
How could you not love these babies?

Standard light....nothing fancy.


One of my personal favorites.
Very classy with the little globe thingy built in.


Way sexy with the color thing going on.
Adds a wonderful ambiance.
Fluorescent lights are available in other pretty colors too.

Can you believe that for 40 years, actual light fixtures were never put up. This is real standard. Not only that, but the previous owners were both lawyers! EVERY ROOM has these lights: except the dining room. Being quite large, at 15 x 21 feet, the dining room is blessed with two of these beauties! Very bitchin'!

BUT DON'T WORRY CAITIE:
Daddy will leave the lights just as they are until after your visit!



1 comment:

  1. Oh dad, you're so silly. Those lights are interesting. They look like little flashlights. I do love me some overhead lighting. I can't wait to check them out myself in 40 days!! I love you.

    Caitie

    ReplyDelete