Sunday, January 24, 2010

GREAT NEWS

It was (up to) 40° today. Yeah, that is Fahrenheit.
The snow is melted. Streets are dry.
So, what does that mean?

HARLEY DAY!!!

Yeah baby! Stoked up the hog and had a ball!

I am really going to miss my baby when I move to Cuenca.
It's a 1994, so I have had it (paid for) for a very long time.
Being 16 years old, also means that I cannot import it to Ecuador.

So what to do with my baby? Well, I am not going to sell it or give it away. "Give away", you ask? Not as far fetched as it sounds. Brenda made me give the Lexus SUV to our daughter. Yes that is give, spelled g-i-v-e. In order to make things fair between the kids, our son gets the same deal with my treasured Ford pickup. Apparently still not fair because the Lexus is worth a lot more. So the Ford goes to Alex with a glove box full of cash. (I would have been better off to just push both those rigs off a cliff.) Luckily, we only have 2 kids, so I get to sell the 2007 Toyota. Thank god!

Back to the Harley.....I have decided to keep it. I have arranged with a friend to keep it for me. He is an old Harley rider but currently doesn't own one. I will keep the registration and insurance current. He will ride it and keep it serviced. It is actually better for the bike to be ridden than to just sit. I will ride it again someday, somehow, some way. BUT I JUST CAN'T SELL IT!

So what will I do come June in Cuenca about a moto? Good motos in Ecuador are extremely obscenely expensive. The Chinese bikes are cheap...for a very good reason. Plus I am a full sized fella, and the Chinese bikes are only about 100 cc's. Hondas, Yamahas and Kawasakis are available and, although not Harleys, they are very good bikes. I have been looking at them here to get some ideas. The selection on the good Japanese bikes unfortunately appears very limited in Cuenca. I believe that Harleys are available at dealers in Quito and Guayaquil....again very expensive. Plus Harleys are mainly smooth pavement street cruisers. As much as I like them, I think maybe they are not right for the roads down there. Brenda is encouraging me to get whatever bike I want....god love her.

So the puzzle about what moto to get in Ecuador may be a fun one to solve....but must wait till another day.

Back to today. Glorious! Fired up the beast and a couple hours later my soul felt all sparkly and glistening ..... fairly singing with joy. Boys and motorcycles are a good match.

No comments:

Post a Comment