Saturday, June 2, 2012

Living in a Chemistry Experiment


The Brennie and I have been married for about 100 years (September ‘84).  
In most ways average, average, average ....... common as dirt.
Recently, the old girl has gone nuts, total bonkers, barking mad.
Back to this in a minute or two.  

We were as average as could be:
- teacher (me), program development in disabilities field (the newly crazy woman)
- two children, one of each gender
- always had a dog
- mini van / SUV
- summer vacation at rented house on lake .... same place every summer 
- bought my first Harley when in my 40’s
- every 2 - 4 years a major vacation (Disney World, Mexico, etc)
I mean we were average.

Well?  What does this have to do with my lunatic, wack job bride.

What does this have to do with ‘living in a chemistry experiment’?

Well, I’ll tell you what.  
If I could remember.  
When I started this, I had a transition in mind for ..... 
average --> nutbag -->  life in a chem lab.

If you are guessing that she has started cooking up batches of meth alongside the lasagna ...... WRONG.

So what HAS happened?

The Brennie has become some type of Ecuadorian Martha Stewart ...... that’s what!  
H*ll I don’t even recognize her any more!

A few minor examples before I get to the Mad Chemist part:
- I suggest that I go out and grab a pizza to go.  The Brennie goes to the kitchen and makes TWO pizzas from scratch (even the crust).
- A couple times a month she makes (2 again) quiches.  From scratch.
- She made curtains.
- Green smoothies (look it up)
- Making a braided rug.
- She just bought a LOT of different polka dot fabric (20 kinds?)  A quilt, maybe? 

She is in the kitchen all the time.

Right this very minute she has both the (new electric programable) pressure cooker and crock pot going .... I don’t even ask anymore.  
I have no idea what the plan is for today’s creations, because I know for a fact that we are going out to dinner.

By the way ....... little miss cuckoo bonkers doesn’t really eat leftovers.  
I am having to eat 5 times a day (hungry or not) just to keep food from going bad.
I am not sure why she did the whole pork thing (5 - 8 lbs) a couple weeks ago.
She is basically a vegetarian.  Maybe one small portion of meat,

Now ..... The Mad Chemist
She is into ..... I really don’t know what to call it.  
Live cultures?  
Bacteria?  
Fermented food?
Examples:
- a batch of sauerkraut is busy bubbling away(?), fermenting(?) whatever.
- experimenting with creating sour dough cultures
- making her own yogurt
- she has ordered a BUNCH of cultures for some other stuff (again ..... I don’t ask)
- threatening to make cheese next


Braiding for a rug.
I have put a padlock on my closet
so she doesn't cut my clothes in strips.

A lot of food now includes .....
raw cold pressed coconut oil.
And, they don't just give that sh*t away!

A new crock for making sauerkraut.

The new fancy pressure cooker.
We could dine out for a month on what this baby cost.

Sauerkraut.
Busy bubbling away.
Smells good.

Experimental sour dough bread.
Not bad.
I think she has ordered some new cultures (or something).

Sour dough starter?

Home made yogurt.


I'm a little scared.
Who is this woman?
But, she sure is cute.

Glad we don't drink.
If we did, I suspect she would have a still up and running.


Now, if I could just get her to do some ironing!

Life is sweet,
Clarke

6 comments:

  1. Dear Brennie

    While we won't meet in person for another year, I am thrilled to get the chance to learn how to make sauerkraut (I can show you how to make my grandmother's potato salad).

    When HGTV took over my life (not anymore), I thought that I would like to learn how to braid a rug. And I knew that I wanted to make one for my home in Cuenca. Serendipity!

    I am looking forward to meeting the woman who had the nerve to marry a man whose picture is looking through a keyhole (or is he Mickey Mouse in disguise?)

    Not soon enough for me...

    Denise
    Charlotte NC

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is too funny and warms my heart. Your love for her comes through your writing, and she sounds like an exceptionally-happy person!

    Sounds like she's going to keep you well and well fed!

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog! BTW, where did you find the electric pressure cooker?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty....
    Happy to hear you enjoyed the blog. You can get it the pressure cooker Costto for $140 (remanufactured and without instruction book) or I have heard new at Sukasa ..... about $300. If you buy the remanufactured, you can borrow our instruction book for copying. We borrowed someone else's and copied it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How fun... do you even LIKE sauerkraut? Lets plan a sourdough pancake breakfast benefit! The Brennie can cook, You and Randy sling the cakes and I will clean.. Oh man now I did it.. I put it in writing! Well you let her think on it.. or not.. ;>)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that is a great idea. Who is the benefit for? Lot's of good causes. Plus we can always say .......It is Karen Kimbler's fault."

      Delete