Sunday, June 27, 2010

PAINTING AND SETTLING IN (kind of)

WELL LET'S SEE NOW......

FURNITURE OPTIONS:
Option #1.....bring a container. Pack up all our stuff from the previous life and stick it in a container. Have the container shipped to Cuenca. Complicated expensive process. You hear a lot (I mean "A LOT") of absolute nightmare horror stories about this. Cost (after port fees and etc)....about $10,000 dollars. For what? To bring in a small amount of our stuff that we actually treasured and wanted? Frankly, I was thrilled to get rid of most of that cr*p. This seemed to be a pretty horrible option.

Option #2....sell it all in Kansas. Make the trip with suitcases only. Buy new in Cuenca. Sounds simple. Right? I said...."Sounds simple. Right?" Well, it is and it isn't. Thia getting all new stuff is tough. I mean really, really tough. I am sure that it is Brennie's fault that is is so tough. When I figure out how to blame it on her, I will let her and the rest of mankind know how and why it is her fault. At this time, this option #2 also seems to be a pretty horrible option.

THE WHOLE REMODELING / PAINTING DILEMMA

BACKSTORY: We opted to buy an apartment that is about 40 years old and is situated in old town. If you are wondering if it needs work...take a look at the "before pics". You will note that there are no before pics of the bathrooms.....good taste forbids it. (Like I wold actually know good taste if it bit me on the *ss.)

Remodel/paint option #1......Bite the bullet. Have it all done. New kitchen and baths. Tear out walls, etc., etc. Yikes! We started to go down that road and it was horrifying! Just the two meetings with the architect were a nightmare of decisions that we were just not ready to make. It was so stressful that I threw up......twice.......in our old stinky toilet.

Remodel/paint option #2......Don't bite the bullet. Just kinda lick it. Have the place painted. God knows when it was last painted. Have it painted top to bottom....even the parts that will eventually get remodeled. (I accidentally typed in "remolded"....different concept and I hope no kind of evil omen.) Remodel later. Do it piece by piece...LATER. Get settled in. Enjoy life. Relax. So that is what we are doing.

Caitie asked for pics. So here you go:

These guys came to install our internet.
Nice guys, but no skills.
I actually had to put the RJ45 connections on the Cat 5e cables for them and they had to call in someone else to configure the connection on their equipment.
They did successfully drill 5 holes in the walls.


Test patterns for some accent walls.



Brennie sitting at her new desk in our lovely completed study.
A dream come true.


Gotta love the balcony.
What an inspiring view.
Wanted to enjoy a cigar, but was afraid to light a match.



This is Patricio...... painting maestro.
He really is quite good.
We are very glad that he is doing the painting.
His ideas are usually better than ours,
so we have learned to take his advice.....kind of.
However, he kept on saying "dos semanas".
Now my handy dandy pocket translator tells me
that means "two weeks".
Must be time to upgrade my translator.



4 comments:

  1. I thought I could smell the paint on my computor You are really doing a great job!!! Also Brenndie I love the jammies. I really like your accent choice. We will have to get together soon!!! Miss you guys.
    Love you,
    Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy to report an exception to the "don't send a container" rule. Our belongings arrived pretty much on time and pretty much undamaged this week. And the cost was less than half what we spent to send the same stuff from Charleston to Las Vegas! Still, shipping vs. starting over is totally an individual decision. In our case we have a lot of furniture that we like very much, so for us the choice to ship was easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Did not mean to suggest (even remotely) that all container stories are a nightmare. AND I understand that for some it is a smooth process and well worth the effort and expense. Indeed, we rid ourselves of some furniture that was unique and impossible to replace. And I certainly wish we had some of it and some of our other stuff too. But, on balance, for us ........ coming with suitcases was probably the right thing. It is like the rent vs. buy thing. There is no universal right answer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Clarke,

    After a long and challenging time I have figured out how to log into my old blog and now see what has been happening in your life. I need to re focus some energy to checking up on the blog. I'll search around to see what else has taken place in you life on the blog. So just what are you going to do when you guys grow up? Shall I bring my tent to pitch on the balcony when I visit?

    ReplyDelete