Thursday, April 15, 2010

THINGS THAT ARE MORE FUN THAN WHAT I HAVE DONE IN THE LAST WEEK

In the last 10 days I have had a really swell time.

  • I decided that I really should sell my beloved Harley, my guns (yup, I am a Kansas redneck), and that one rug that I really love.
  • Took very few days to sell the Harley. Didn't even advertise. Just told a few people and it was done. Actually the buyer reminded me a lot of Charlie Fiero. He absolutely loves the bike and I liked him, so I feel a little better about it. Plus he doesn't have all the money yet so I get to ride it until he can come up with the balance. Not crying yet because I still have possession of the bike (and a sizable down payment).
  • Selling good guns.....not hard. (Kansas remember?) You don't want to put an ad in the paper for obvious reasons. Once again, just told a couple people. All in good safe hands now.
  • Selling the rug...just took one phone call....gone. Cried only slightly.
  • This whole week getting ready to move from our home into a temporary rental for six weeks. This has got to be the definition of a fine time.

Things I have done in the past that I enjoyed more than I have enjoyed the last 10 days.

  • Those third degree burns....in a lot of ways were less painful than the last 10 days.
  • Falling off that ladder and thinking I broke both legs. Again less painful.
  • I had a doctor put a needle in my eye once. I asked him to deaden it first. His reply...."Well now, shooting it with Novocaine would require sticking a needle in it anyway, wouldn't it? Don't blink while I do this." A very pretty assistant held my hand to help with that whole courage and blinking part of it.
  • I used to see out of two eyes. I had a good eye and a bad eye. Only took an instant for the bad eye to become the good eye and the (former) good eye to become something on my face to give it that nice balanced look.
  • Had a really fine testicle infection once (when I had no money). When I finally broke down and went to the doctor, he said he had never known anyone to go through it before without treatment. Doc said it had to be a new record for pain tolerance. (No sh*t!) Not as painful as selling the Harley.
  • Crushed my other testicle (motorcycle mishap) when I was 17. The doctors gave me unlimited supplies of prescription pain killers without question.....and free. I was 17 (remember).....so yah, I may have gone a little nuts with that whole unlimited free supply concept. Actually the whole episode is a kinda dim memory.
  • Fractured my wrist a few years ago. It was when I had my lawn mowing business. If my wrist was in a cast, I wouldn't be able to operate the hand controls of my commercial movers. So I didn't let them cast it. I just taped it up every day. Yeah, that hurt a whole bunch. But deciding to sell the Harley really hurt. (It was the lawn mowing money that bought the place in Cuenca ..... nice touch there.)
  • Have you ever had a whole bunch of stitches put in your fingers without some kind of shot to deaden the pain? If you go late at night to a military hospital you might be able to arrange it. Dad was retired military, so I could go there for free. As they pointed out...the fingers hurt already anyway.

So anyway, I suspect the pain of the last 10 days will also pass with time. How much time? Well, we will be back in Cuenca permanently in 46 days. So I suspect that 46 days should about do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment